What adjustments do you think AM will make to contend in this division?

Sports Guy

AM is very good at a lot of things, namely building a very good foundation for potential long term success...Emphasis on the minors, etc...

If we were in any other division except maybe the AL West, his philosophies and plan would work very well.

In this division, they will work as well...but they will only work to get us to be a 85-88 type win team...which obviously isn't contending in this division.

AM doesn't like to spend big on FA and wants to develop pitching, not sign it..Generally speaking, his 100% correct on both fronts.

But for us to contend in this division, he is going to have to make some bold moves...Spend some big money....Trade some young arms...Things like that.

So, do you feel AM will go against what he has always done in his GM career(to some extent...he is obviously always going to rely on the farm system, which he should do) or do you feel he will do what he has always done and not take into account the "AL East factor"?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AM is very good at a lot of things, namely building a very good foundation for potential long term success...Emphasis on the minors, etc...

If we were in any other division except maybe the AL West, his philosophies and plan would work very well.

In this division, they will work as well...but they will only work to get us to be a 85-88 type win team...which obviously isn't contending in this division.

AM doesn't like to spend big on FA and wants to develop pitching, not sign it..Generally speaking, his 100% correct on both fronts.

But for us to contend in this division, he is going to have to make some bold moves...Spend some big money....Trade some young arms...Things like that.

Well, that's what he's said he's gonna do. The only alleged-issue here is your arbitrary belief that he's not gonna do what he said he's gonna do. You claim that despite the fact that, so far, he's done exactly what he said he was gonna do. Your assertion that he's suddenly gonna not do what he says appears to be based on your arbitrary belief that his past decision-making in a different situation somehow dictates what he will and won't do here, in a very different situation.

It really comes down to which pattern you think he will repeat. Will it be the recent pattern that he's demonstrated in his current job, a pattern of doing what he says he's gonna do? Or will it be an old pattern he demonstrated in a different job of not importing top talent? We'll see. Personally, I'm betting that he is who he is now, while you're betting than he is who he used to be, years ago in a different job, in a different place, in a different situation. I think he's adaptable and responsive to his situation, and you think he's not.

Well, that's what he's said he's gonna do. The only alleged-issue here is your arbitrary belief that he's not gonna do what he said he's gonna do. You claim that despite the fact that, so far, he's done exactly what he said he was gonna do. Your assertion that he's suddenly gonna not do what he says appears to be based on your arbitrary belief that his past decision-making in a different situation somehow dictates what he will and won't do here, in a very different situation.

It really comes down to which pattern you think he will repeat. Will it be the recent pattern that he's demonstrated in his current job, a pattern of doing what he says he's gonna do? Or will it be an old pattern he demonstrated in a different job of not importing top talent? We'll see. Personally, I'm betting that he is who he is now, while you're betting than he is who he used to be, years ago in a different job, in a different place, in a different situation. I think he's adaptable and responsive to his situation, and you think he's not.

Believe it or not, this wasn't a question about you and me.

The question is simple but you try to make it be about what I want and what you want.

Please, just go away...you are a waste of time.

So, do you feel AM will go against what he has always done in his GM career(to some extent...he is obviously always going to rely on the farm system, which he should do) or do you feel he will do what he has always done and not take into account the "AL East factor"?

First, he needs to replace every man in the bullpen and when I say replace either get rid of or change the role of anyone he keeps as in Johnson should not be a closer but back to a setup man. Koji should be the closer, and Hendrickson the long guy. Merideth is the only other guy I would consider keeping. That in itself is a huge challenge and IMO is absolutely critical to do by next season or the development of the young pitchers will likely fail do to the bullpen blowing games for them.

First, he needs to replace every man in the bullpen and when I say replace either get rid of or change the role of anyone he keeps as in Johnson should not be a closer but back to a setup man. Koji should be the closer, and Hendrickson the long guy. Merideth is the only other guy I would consider keeping. That in itself is a huge challenge and IMO is absolutely critical to do by next season or the development of the young pitchers will likely fail do to the bullpen blowing games for them.

The pen will be better when the starters go deeper into games.

I like Hernandez long term in the pen.

Mickolio looks very good as well.

I disagree that what you are saying is required to contend in this division. It may be a good idea in some cases to do what you advocate but it certainly not a requirement.

If the young pitching develops and we end up with a surplus of quality arms that would certainly be good currency to acquire some other pieces but I wouldn't see that a bold move. I don't think AM will or should consider moving any young arms at this stage in the process. It would be a bold move not worth taken unless he was really blown away.

And I think you are ablutely wrong. This bullpen of ours pitched very well early on, but wore down as the starters couldn't get deep into games. I think the young pitchers will pitch deeper into games this coming season, and the bullpen will again look good. Yeah, JJ should go back to set up, and if Guts gets traded maybe into the rotation. But I think Mickolio will be a stud, and believe it or not I also think that Sarfate is a good set up candidate. Koji in the pen will help a lot.

The pen will be better when the starters go deeper into games.

I like Hernandez long term in the pen.

Mickolio looks very good as well.

Not so sure about Hernandez but I forgot about Mickolio who was impressive until he got hurt. However, I think they need to be better now.

I disagree that what you are saying is required to contend in this division. It may be a good idea in some cases to do what you advocate but it certainly not a requirement.

If the young pitching develops and we end up with a surplus of quality arms that would certainly be good currency to acquire some other pieces but I wouldn't see that a bold move. I don't think AM will or should consider moving any young arms at this stage in the process. It would be a bold move not worth taken unless he was really blown away.

We can't rely on teams being willing to dump players for ok packages like ARam and Lee.

Not so sure about Hernandez but I forgot about Mickolio who was impressive until he got hurt. However, I think they need to be better now.

As I said in the other thread, I think Uehara, JJ, Mickolio, and Hernandez are the backbone of a very good bullpen. Berken, too, if he's willing to pound the strike zone w/ his two-seamer. Ray remains a wild card. I'd re-sign Hendrickson.

IMO AM is gonna have to do a few things. 1 is actually start spending money in the international market. ANother one of those things would be that he is soon gonna need to take chances on FAs. Hes also going to need to take chances with trading prospects, like the Rays did trading Young and recieving Barlett and Garza. If AM will splurge on FA when we deem it necessary, and if he takes a chance and trades a prospect ofr another prospect which I know is fairly rare but they happen, we can compete out here in the East.

IF,

Wieters becomes a annual .300+ hitter with 30 or more HRs a year

Reimold continues to rack up the OBP and hits around 25-30 HRs a year

Pie ends up being a .300 25 HR guy

Jones ends up being a .280 25 100 guy(Hes gonna prob. hit more HRs, Im trying to temper my enthusiasm.)

Roberts maintains his career normal numbers

Markakis rebound back to .300+ 20 HRs and a .900+ OPS

One of Bell or Snyder establishes themself as a starting 1B/3B on a contending team

Matusz and Tillman both become 1/2 SPs

Bergy stays around a 4.00 ERA or lower

Arrieta becomes a mid rotation starter

The bullpen bounces back

We on our own can win in the neighborhood of 85-90 wins, but itll take some ky FA signings and trades to put us over the top. And the expectations I listed IMO are very realistic, and probably stuff that we all expect to happen. This year the rookies did more than we wanted to but the vets dragged them down for the most part. If we can get both the youngsters and the vets to be on the same page, we will find success isnt as far away as it seems....

MacPhail will add long term free agents when the team is developed enough to benefit from them. The O's are not at that stage yet. Maybe in a year.

The FA class isn't good until after 2011.

The two best bats are Crawford and Mauer, again two positions we have filled. And Holliday is better than Crawford IMO.

There are plenty of premium arms available, but they'll get more than Lackey will.

So we'll be left with the past their prime guys like Konerko and Lee who will want multi year deals.

MacPhail will add long term free agents when the team is developed enough to benefit from them. The O's are not at that stage yet. Maybe in a year.

MacPhail will do what needs to be done to compete and win in the AL East IMO.

Do you think he will be willing to hand out 100+ million dollar contracts?

Do you think he will be willing to hand out 100+ million dollar contracts?

Maybe one. Singular, not plural.

I'm sure he would prefer to get the benefit he would get for $100M without spending $100M. But when the time comes, he'll do what is necessary. He knows it's about going to the WS.

Archived